A Slow Cooker Favorite

As many of you know, Peas and Thank You was one of the food blogs that served as an inspiration to me in my early vegetarian and vegan days. Mama Pea was/is raising a veggie family, and her posts were always filled with great ideas and great food. Sadly, shortly after finishing her second cookbook, Mama Pea decided to call it quits. I miss her posts a lot, but we are still enjoying her food!

I put together this crock pot soup on Sunday--it's the first time in at least 8 months that we've had it, and I definitely think it will be back on our table very soon!

Spicy African Peanut Stew
from Mama Pea (my comments are in italics)
(I usually double this recipe to fit in my crockpot--that way we have leftovers, too!)
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 1/2 cup dry garbanzo beans from your bulk section)
1 sweet potato, cubed (about 1 c. total) (I also added butternut squash we had on hand)
1 1/2 t. curry powder
1/2-3/4 t. garam masala (depending on how spicy you like it)
1 t. cumin
1 T. minced ginger
2 t. minced garlic
stevia to taste (I used almost 2 packets of NuNaturals) (I don't add sweetener)
dash of cinnamon
1 14 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes, in juice (I roasted 6 large tomatoes in my oven, in my grill pan, like this--but I left the skins on)
1 can light coconut milk
2 c. vegetable stock
2 T. natural peanut butter
1/2 c. red lentils, drained and rinsed (can substitute quinoa, if desired)
Optional garnishes: cilantro, chopped peanuts, sour cream or plain yogurt (vegan, if desired)

Combine all ingredients in a crock pot and turn to high for about an hour. This gets your crock pot going, and then it can be switched it to low for the next several hours. The stew is done when the sweet potato/squash is soft and garbanzo beans are tender. We topped our bowls with peanuts and cilantro. It kept well for lunches in our Thermoses, too!


adding spices


mixed up and ready to cook (slowly)


yummmm



--E&R

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South America 2016: On to Manuel Antonio

Barclays in Bali: Busy Sunday

Barclays in Bali: Ubud on foot