Apple Butter and Biscuits

Ever since apple season has come around again, I've felt the urge to try my hand making apple butter. After reading a number of recipes that involve using a crock pot (my favorite easy cooking appliance), I knew it would be easy!

Here's the recipe I followed, using a mix of Granny Smith, Fuji, and Gala apples. 

Crock Pot Apple Butter
thanks to Kathryn T for help with this recipe!
16-20 apples, cored and cubed (as many as it takes to fill your crock pot)
1/2 c apple cider 
1 tbs cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/3 c sugar

Fill the crockpot with apples and sprinkle spices and sugar on the top. Stir to mix and cover. I set my crock pot to high for about an hour, to get everything started and then switched it to low. Stir every few hours, if you can. 



I started my apple butter around 7:45pm and switched the crockpot to low an hour later. I stirred about once an hour until I went to bed. I let the apples cook overnight, and then switched off the slow cooker in the morning. At this point, I thought the texture of the apple butter looked great--mushy and a rich brown, with soft skins. Most people don't like the skins, so I went ahead and put the apple butter through the blender. It was about the consistency of a smoothie, so I put it back into the crock pot for a few more hours, uncovered, until it was the thickness I wanted. 




So then we asked ourselves--what do we do with all of this apple butter?! I'm a sucker for carbs, so of course biscuits were the obvious choice! This recipe is adapted from this book, a gift from my great friend, Victoria. I adapted the spelt biscuit recipe, so that my biscuits would be gluten free. They were a bit more dense than the flaky, buttery Pilsbury-type biscuits you might be picturing, but they were still delicious!

Southern Style Biscuits (gluten free!)
adapted from Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food

1/3 c brown rice flour
1/3 c white rice flour
2/3 c oat flour
1 c gf all purpose flour
(this is a total of 2 1/3 c gluten flour--I was playing around with potential mixes)
3 1/2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tbs sugar
1/3 c Earth Balance or margarine plus 2 tbs melted, for dipping
3/4 c oat milk or soy milk

Preheat oven to 350*. Melt extra Earth Balance in a pan, and set aside. Combine dry ingredients in food processor--pulse three times to combine. Add Earth Balance and pulse until the mixture resembles damp sand. 






















Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and create a well. Pour milk in the well and stir until a dough forms. On a flour-dusted work surface, roll out the dough to about 1 inch thick and cut biscuits with a biscuit cutter. Dip each side of the biscuit into the melted butter and lay on baking sheet. Reform dough and continue to cut biscuits until all dough is used. 








Bake for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm with butter and apple butter. 





REfoods is currently taking orders for apple butter! Leave a comment below if you are interested in purchasing some! :) 

--E&R









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South America 2016: On to Manuel Antonio

Barclays in Bali: Busy Sunday

Barclays in Bali: Ubud on foot