Doughfins? Muffnuts?

Delicious either way!

Sometimes, you just have to bake. There are times where I just get the craving to put something in the oven and try something new! In absence of pumpkin to add to my latest endeavor, I decided I'd try out a potential Thanksgiving breakfast idea. My Aunt Sue and cousins Ryan and Lindsey got us some awesome doughnut pans for the wedding. I've only used them once before, and when I was digging around for a muffin tin, these bad boys where on top. So, I figured, why not give them a try?


We bought a few bags of fresh cranberries at Whole Foods around Christmas time last year--at 99 cents a piece, they were a steal! I tossed them in our freezer, and pull them out occasionally. I found a recipe online to use as a base--typically, I enjoy adjusting a changing a recipe to make it more my own, but I try not to mess around too much with baked goods, as there is so much chemistry involved. 


Lately I've noticed that the things I bake come out very moist--almost too moist. They get mushy, and don't keep very well. I think this is because I use gluten free flours, which lack stronger proteins. Luckily, a slight adjustment in this recipe made all the difference! 


Orange Cranberry Muffnuts

Adapted from Isa Chandra's recipe


1 c Bob's gluten free all purpose flour
1 c oat flour (make your own out of rolled oats in the blender)
1/3 c sugar
1/3 c honey
3 tsps baking powder (I added an extra tsp to combat moistness)1/2 tsp baking soda1/2 tsp salt1 c orange juice1/2 c coconut oil (should be in liquid form--you may need to heat it to melt it)2 tablespoons orange zest1 tsp pure vanilla bean or 2 tsps vanilla extract1 1/2 c fresh cranberries, roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 375*. Mix dry goods together in a bowl (flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt). Add liquid ingredients and stir until combined. Fold in cranberries. 
These can be made into muffins, or doughnuts--I greased my doughnut pans and filled them too full, which is why we ended up with muffnuts! Fill halfway to achieve actual doughnut, or fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake for 23-27 minutes, or until golden brown. 
I enjoyed mine warm, with some Earth Balance on the top!
The true test came when storing these bad boys--because I think our glass tupperware can be too efficient at times, I left the doughnuts on a plate covered in a towel over night. They were perfect for breakfast this morning--still fresh, and not too mushy from too much moisture in the storage container!
Enjoy!



--E&R

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South America 2016: On to Manuel Antonio

Barclays in Bali: Busy Sunday

Barclays in Bali: Ubud on foot