Recipe Round Up!

A few recent favorites

A new goal for our blog is to try and share something with you everyday during the week--whether it be a recipe we love, a food prep tip, a restaurant review, or a quick photo or two, we're doing our best to bring more vegan food into your life! 

Today's post is bringing you some of the recipes popping up in our house lately! 

source
On Sunday, I made a batch of spaghetti squash with creamy roasted red pepper sauce. The only adaptation I made to the recipe was roasting 6 tomatoes to use in place of the canned tomatoes called for in the original. I also prefer to cook spaghetti squash upside down in a casserole dish, with some veggie broth covering the bottom inch or so, like this.  It has kept really well in the fridge, and has made for some great lunches at school this week!

Over the summer, I received a ton of great recipes at my bridal shower. Attendees were asked to bring a favorite recipe that could easily be modified for vegans. In addition to things like Mexican Hot Chocolate, shaved Brussels sprouts salad, and cookie dough balls made with chickpeas, a long-time friend of my mom's shared her recipe for pancit. 

source
Pancit is a Filipino dish, made with rice noodles. The first time I made it, Rick asked me what I used to flavor the dish, as everything was so pungent. I was so excited to tell him that the sautéed garlic and onion were all that was needed! Ever since that first batch, I would guess that we've made pancit about every week and a half or so. It's that good :) We love using Trader Joe's Fresh Rice Noodles, which are inexpensive and last us a long time, because each pack contains two separate smaller packages of noodles. 

I mostly wing it when making pancit these days, but here is a copy of Harriet's original recipe from the shower! I'll add my modifications in at the bottom.

Pancit - Philippines
from Harriet H. 

Serves 6. Prep time 10 minutes. Cooking time 10 minutes. 

Ingredients: 
Rice noodles
1 Tbs oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 onion, sliced
shredded carrot
soy sauce
tofu cubes
     (may add more of any ingredient to taste)
chopped green onion for garnish

Method:
-Soak noodles until mushy (about 10 minutes) and drain. I usually do this while I am chopping and prepping my veg.
-Heat oil in skillet/wok and sautee onion and garlic until garlic is brown. 
-Saute tofu and add noodles, then soy sauce
-Toss continuously while heating. Add carrots at end and toss.
-Serve in a bowl with green onions sprinkled on top

Tastes great reheated, too!

Emily's Adjustments:

  • I typically use 3 to 4 cloves of garlic for this recipe :) Then again, I always tend to use more garlic than is called for!
  • I only use about half of an onion, and probably a bit more oil (3ish tbs)
  • We omit the tofu, but add shredded cabbage
  • I add the carrots just before the noodles, to give them time to soften up while cooking
  • We don't ever really have green onions on hand, so those usually aren't on our plates
I don't have any great pancit photos, and Google Images is not really helping--guess you'll have to wait to see what it looks like when you make it! :) 

Do you have any family favorite recipes to share? Send 'em our way! Have a great night!

--E&R

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South America 2016: On to Manuel Antonio

Barclays in Bali: Busy Sunday

Barclays in Bali: Ubud on foot