Three Bean Pumpkin Chili

A Brand New Recipe!

I don't know about you, but I find cooking to be one of the most relaxing things I can do. Chopping, prepping, mixing, and sautéing everything to create a meal is therapeutic and rewarding to me. I had spent the weekend facilitating a leadership workshop for middle school girls and while we had an awesome time, I was totally ready to get home and get into the kitchen. One can only deal with some much One Direction obsession... :) 

This is a recipe I created, after having seen a similar idea floating around on facebook. Just in case you haven't noticed, squash season is in full swing. I've made a little mental goal to try and eat some sort of squash at least two times a week while everything is in season. My chili recipe is a great way to incorporate squash into a fall favorite!

Three Bean Pumpkin Chili
A Barclay Original

I like to see ingredients along with steps in a recipe, but I promise to put the full ingredients list at the end of this post, in order to make your shopping a little easier!

Prep time: 45 minutes. Cook time: 20 minutes or as long as desired. Makes 4-6 servings.


3/4 c great northern beans
3/4 c pinto beans
3/4 c black beans





I usually buy my beans in bulk instead of in cans for two major reasons--I don't end up with any more than I need, and things are always fresher if you cook them yourself! I put the beans into my rice cooker and got them started first. They usually take 45 min to an hour on the brown rice setting, and you may need to add more water about 30 minutes in. 

1 pie pumkpin, cut in half. 


Pre-heat oven to 400*. Place the halves of your pumpkin on a baking sheet and roast for 35-45 minutes. The pumpkin is done when a fork pokes easily through the rind into soft flesh. If you wanted to substitute 1 can of pumpkin for the fresh one, feel free!


The beans and pumpkin go into the chili last, so I started with these steps and had everything ready to go by the time I needed it. 

2 medium red peppers
1 extra large onion (or 2 medium--I just happened to have a huge one)
1 tbs coconut oil
3-4 cloves or garlic, pressed or grated



Chop the veggies and sauté in coconut oil at the bottom of your stock pot on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue to sauté until fragrant. 

3 tbs chili powder
1 tbs cocoa powder
1 tbs oregano
1 tbs dried basil

Add herbs to veggie mixture and cook for about 2 minutes. 

4 cups veggie stock

Add veggie stock to veggies in the pot and reduce heat to low. 

10-12 small roma tomatoes

While your stock mixture is on low, roughly chop the tomatoes and add to the pot. If you wanted to use diced, canned tomatoes, I would suggest a 28oz can. Turn the heat back up to medium, and let the tomatoes cook down. You will notice more liquid in your pot as the tomatoes reduce. Things will thicken up once the pumpkin is added. 



Add beans to the pot and continue to simmer. Add 1-2 tsp of salt and pepper to taste. This can be adjusted based personal preference.  When the pumpkin is done, scoop out the flesh and stir in to the chili. Allow to simmer for 5-10 more minutes, or until you are ready to eat!



This chili reheats well, and has kept in the fridge for a few days. It's a great lunch for us, in our new Thermoses from our wedding registry. 

Hope you are having a great day!
--E&R

Full Ingredients List:
3/4 c great northern beans
3/4 c pinto beans
3/4 c black beans
1 pie pumkpin, cut in half. 
2 medium red peppers
1 extra large onion (or 2 medium--I just happened to have a huge one)
1 tbs coconut oil
3-4 cloves or garlic, pressed or grated
3 tbs chili powder
1 tbs cocoa powder
1 tbs oregano
1 tbs dried basil
4 cups veggie stock
10-12 small roma tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste

Comments

  1. I had a butternut squash begging to be roasted and turned into this recipe! Thanks, Em!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

South America 2016: On to Manuel Antonio

Barclays in Bali: Busy Sunday

Barclays in Bali: Ubud on foot