5 Layer Dip

(posted by Emily)

I hope you all had a great weekend! Rick and I enjoyed our time off with a little DIY and a fun Super Bowl party with friends. When we were deciding what to bring, Rick requested a taco or layer dip. We used to eat taco at my Grandma's house all the time, so I called my resident expert, Amy, for some tips. This is what I put together and it was definitely a hit! We're pretty sure that most of the guests had no idea the dip was vegan, either :) Thanks to Jaime and Bec for hosting!

Layer 1: Black beans (cooked in the rice cooker with bay leaves, thyme, and a splash of vinegar) pureed with some veggie broth until smooth.

  

Layer 2: Trader Joe's vegan cream cheese, mixed with taco seasonings. I used chili powder, paprika, cumin, black pepper, and oregano until I got the flavor I was looking for.





Layer 3: A jar of Trader Joe's Roasted Garlic Salsa. For some reason, everything with roasted garlic is my go-to at TJs. They make an awesome roasted garlic spaghetti sauce, too.





Layer 4: After an exhaustive price comparison and some furious Googling about melting capabilities at Whole Foods, I settled on Daiya Cheddar Style Slices for our cheese layer. I used four full slices, and crumbled the fifth on top of the salsa. Usually, I make my own cheese (or cheeze) these days, but when I am in a bind, Daiya is my go-to brand.



At this point, I put the dip into the oven at 350* for about 30 minutes, to melt the layers and make things a little creamier. I let everything cool before adding the last layer and serving.



Layer 5: Homemade guacamole! I used avocado, lime juice, salt, pepper, jalapeƱo, white onion, heirloom tomatoes, and cilantro and adjusted the mixture until I found the flavor I liked. I stored the guac with the avocado pits so that it didn't turn brown while I waited for the dip to cool.








The finished product! :) 



Did you eat any delicious Super Bowl snacks? Hope your weekend was great!

--E&R

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South America 2016: On to Manuel Antonio

Barclays in Bali: Busy Sunday

Barclays in Bali: Ubud on foot