Fusion Bowls

(posted by Emily)

One of our favorite food experiences in Maui was stopping in to Maui Kombucha. We were totally impressed by the quality of the food, and I was inspired by the fusion bowl we tried while there.




Basically, the bowl starts with quinoa on the bottom, soup in the middle, and micro greens on top. At the farmers market this weekend, I picked up some baby lettuce and veggies to roast for soup.

I made a small batch of soup--cauliflower, onion, leek, and carrot, pureed with veggie broth. Roasted veggie soup is simple and easy to make (WARNING! If exact measurements are what you look for in a recipe, you may be disappointed): roast your veggies (tossed in olive or coconut oil and S&P) at 425*, until browned. Add to a soup pot and cover with veggie stock. I let the veggies simmer in the broth for about 15-20 minutes to help the flavors meld, then puree the mixture in the Vitamix. I return the blended soup to the pot and add salt and pepper to taste. If the soup is too thick, I can add extra veggie stock at this point, too. Because I wanted the soup to have a bit more complexity, I added a bit of curry powder and paprika.


I made quinoa ahead of time, to store in the fridge. I also bagged the baby greens in smaller portions, so that they would travel better for lunches. When packing our lunches, we each had one baggie of greens, a small tupperware of quinoa, and half a thermos of soup. We packed empty bowls to combine everything in, too.




When it was time for lunch, I emptied my quinoa into my bowl, added soup, and topped everything with micro greens.






I like to mix everything together, and eat it that way. 

everything mixed together

The fusion bowl is a great packable lunch. It is filling, and I feel confident that tons of food groups are represented in one bowl! I totally recommend trying it! 

Happy eating!
--E&R

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South America 2016: On to Manuel Antonio

Barclays in Bali: Busy Sunday

Barclays in Bali: Ubud on foot