Peanut Butter Cheesecake Marble Brownies

(posted by Emily)

Today's post is one I'm pretty excited about. We've shared our zucchini brownies with you before and they've always been a favorite. Well, I think we've found a way to elevate them to a new level of deliciousness. 


My Kappa alum group meets once a month on Wednesdays, and I volunteered to bring a dessert to our meeting tonight. I'm not sure how the idea struck me, but I decided to remake one of our family classics.

I have always loved these marble brownies my mom would make growing up. This picture is of her original recipe, complete with handwritten notes from her mom :)  As you can tell, this fella needed a bit of reworking to be vegan friendly! 

I decided to stick with what I know is a sure-fire winner, so instead of a box of Duncan Hines mix, I made a single batch of our zucchini brownies. That was the easy part!


Next, it was time to figure out what to do for the cream cheese marble. The original recipe calls for 6 oz of cream cheese, 5 tablespoons of butter, 2 eggs, sugar, flour and vanilla. Usually when I replace eggs in a recipe, I use flax and water. However, the potential flecks of flax didn't sound to appetizing, so I turned to this ever-handy chart of egg substitutions in vegan baking!

via
Without hesitation, peanut butter was my clear winner here! Chocolate and peanut butter? Sign me up! Here is my adaptation of the cream cheese marble topping with directions on how to combine with brownie batter. I left out the flour, and managed to find great substitutes for eggs and butter! 

Peanut Butter Cheesecake Marble Topping
1 8oz package of Trader Joe's vegan cream cheese
6 tbs chunky peanut butter
5 tbs oil
1/3 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract.
splash of soy creamer or milk (1 to 2 tbs)

Cream together peanut butter, cream cheese, oil, and sugar. Add vanilla and soy creamer and beat until smooth, but not runny.



Fill a 9x13 pan with brownie batter. Dollop cheesecake mixture on top of the brownie batter. 


Use a knife to swirl the topping and batter together--pull through the batter side to side and up and down to create a marble effect. 


Bake at 350* for 30 minutes, then remove from the oven and allow to cool. 



We did a teeny tiny taste test last night and let me tell you--these are amazing! You should definitely try this at home :) 
--E&R

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South America 2016: On to Manuel Antonio

Barclays in Bali: Busy Sunday

Barclays in Bali: Ubud on foot