Spring Break in Iceland: Day 1

March 2016 
Reykjavik, Iceland
19, 259 steps

Hello from Iceland! We are safely in Reykjavik, after a long day and a half of traveling. 

This trip was pieced together (very expertly) by Rick, maximizing the airline miles we had available. For our trip over here, we flew United from LAX to Newark, then Newark to London. The first flight to EWR was easy--lots of movies to watch on the in-flight entertainment systems. We had a fairly tight connection (45 minutes) and were delayed getting to Newark, but managed to get on our flight to Heathrow in plenty of time. 

After veggie curry and a few more movies, I slept for a few hours en route to London (Rick is not so good at sleeping on planes). We were really excited to be on United, because the United Club at Heathrow is the best one in the world--great food and drinks, beautiful design. We landed early, which was lucky for us, because we didn't have a whole lot of time before our connection to Reykjavik. But, we clearly had our priorities straight, as we grabbed a delicious breakfast (and a Pimms Cup). 

Because of how passengers are funneled off of planes in order to immigrate, we managed to walk in a huge circle around Terminal 2 in order to get to the club--out to the main departures hall and then back to the gates again. We were flying to Reykjavik on British Airways, which departs from Terminal 5. We knew we had to get there somehow, and when we stopped to ask an airport employee for help, she insisted on driving us back to the departures hall in her little cart. From there, we hopped a bus to T5. 

going for a ride in the airport cart
...which also goes in elevators. we got a kick out of that, and our new friend, the driver.
Neither of us have a whole lot to say about the British Airways flight--we were zonked literally the entire time. Rick had a better view coming in to Iceland, but we both agree that it looks and feels like we've landed on Mars. 

A view of the landscape as we came off the plane
We rented a car for this trip (and remembered our drivers licenses this time), and after waiting and then waiting some more, were finally on our way to Reykjavik. The airport is about 45 minutes away, so we plugged in our phones and dj-ed a little Sigur Ros for the trip. 

We are staying at Radisson Blu(s) for the weekend--the last of our buy one, get one promo redemptions from Club Carlson, back when their rewards program was different. So, two nights at this property, then down the road to the other for the final nights. 

After unpacking and relaxing a bit, we decided to walk into town. We enjoyed wandering the city, down to the harbor area and main downtown, near the water and the opera house. The sunset was gorgeous, and dinner was one of our favorites--smørrebrød, or the open faced sandwiches common in Scandinavia. Also, it wouldn't be vacation without ice cream, so we stopped for cones of salted peanut with chocolate for the walk back to the hotel.

a graveyard we passed while walking--many old graves, made spookier by the twisty trees
walking down to the harbor district
spotted while walking around town
smørrebrød with potatoes, pickles, crispy onions, and mayo on rye toast

inside the concert hall

the view on our walk back to the hotel
After a long day of travel we are back at the hotel, reading about the Northern Lights and how best to see them. I think tonight's strategy will be to set an alarm and see how we feel when it goes off :) 

Good night!


Popular posts from this blog

Cabo Weekend: Celebraciones de cumpleaños

Summer 2018: Luang Prabang

Nopales Nachos